Sunday, January 29, 2012

Split Personalities

In the cycling world there are many different disciplines, or subcultures if you will. There are roadies, mountain bikers, free riders, dirt jumpers, downhillers, triathletes, single speed riders, XC racers, BMX riders, fixed gear riders and yes, there are even those that use bicycles for transportation.  What a concept.  All of these different riding styles are either on or off road and each one comes with its own type of bikes, style, attitude and even fashion.  The riders are just as different as the bikes they choose to ride.

I own a couple of different mountain bikes and a road bike and often participate in group rides on both sides.  While we all share the same passion of riding, each group is very different in attitude and approach.  To me, the paved side of the house has always seemed to be a little more serious, very seldom stopping to regroup or just to take in the moment.  Socializing takes place before or after the ride.  "No time for chit chat, buddy....I gotta hit my lactate threshold."  Group mountain bike rides are very different.  The ride usually stops about every 20 minutes or so in order to regroup or maybe just to make sure there isn't somebody that might need a hand, maybe a tool, ride to the ER, whatever.  If someone in the group has a flat, generally everyone will stop and shoot the bull while waiting for the repairs to be completed.  Socializing is much more a part of the ride in the mountain bike community.

In my years as a cyclist, I've always been pretty good at fitting in with each group and adjusting to the different styles and personalities.  This helps to not be labeled as one of the "other guys".  I come to the mountain bike ride sporting my baggies and laid back attitude ready to rip it and have a good time.  The very next day I'll show up for the roadie ride in my lycra bike shorts (AKA skinnies) that are just as restrictive as the treadless rubber on the tires.  In going from group to group I've noticed one thing they can agree on.....the other guys are crazy.  Of course there are several like myself that enjoy both, but the majority of riders stick to one or the other.  While out mountain biking one afternoon I ran into one of the guys that frequents group road rides out for a hike.  I asked him why he wasn't on a bike and he replied, "Nooooo way, not for me.  Riding on trails really scares the hell out of me."  At the polar opposite of that, one of the fastest downhillers I know told me I was crazy for owning a road bike.  "Don't you know if you get hit by a car you're gonna die?"  This struck me as being very funny since I've seen this same guy ride a bike off of a six foot high boulder without so much as flinching.  The only thing missing was a great big YEEEEHAAAA worthy of the General Lee.

My point is, there is more than one way to enjoy yourself on a bike.  I'm encouraging all free riders, roadies, downhillers, XC racers or what ever two wheeled label you or your peers have assigned you, to try and be open minded.  Give the other guys a chance.  I promise that once you realize that they love a great ride, whatever that may consist of, just as much as you do, it will open the door to a whole new world you never knew existed.  If your idea of a thrill is clearing a twenty foot gap on a mountain bike, you may just find that same giddy feeling at 40 MPH on a decent six inches from the wheel in front of you.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I agree with your perceptions. I am glad to have a wide variety of friends in cycling. It provides options at times and envy at others! Glad you see/hear your back on the bike Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad all my biking experiences have been with such a knowledgeable biker :)

    ReplyDelete